Friday, September 19, 2003

Weather forecast: sunny and mild


OK, the remainders of Hurricane Isabel have gone through: the air outside is calm and cool, and the rain has stopped, thank goodness. I didn't want to have to deal with a flooded basement this weekend.


Of course, it is thoroughly dark outside now, so I can't check everything, but (while it was still raining at 6:00) it seemed that everything had made it through the storm without any problems. Some of the roses that are getting long-of-cane got whipped around a bit, but I don't think anything broke.

I did take a few precautions:

  • All garden furniture was moved to the deck, stacked, and laid on the deck so it wouldn't blow over.
  • All potted plants were moved up against a wall, and away from steps and precipices.
  • The pot of tuberoses has been moved to a nice sheltered area so it won't fall over and have the flower stalk broken

There is still only one flower on the tuberose open, but the next two going up the stem are ready to open. I tried taking a picture of it two evenings ago, but the dimness of light lead me to overexpose, so I need to take another iimage, and this time -- compensate for the fact that I'm trying to take a picture of a white flower by dropping the exposure by half or a whole stop. If I take it in the morning with some indirect light, that might work. Then you'll be able to see it. I wish I could electronically transmit the smell of it: it really is wondrously fragrant.

More gardening to be done tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe I should get some little icicle pansies to replace some woeful petunias, as Kathy Renwald recommended in her article in the Globe and Mail this week.

...pat.

No comments: