Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Current state of gardens


Here we go. I spent the afternoon clearing the back yard of goutweed... it was all through the bed on the right side of the image. Required a lot of care to try to pull all the stolons without killing the daffodils (so few of them are in bloom that I'd like to enjoy them this one last time before I yank them in a couple of weeks).

When I get the astilbes, ferns, and hostas from Vesey's, I'll be filling things in. I'm also going to get a few plants from East End Gardens.

There are three roses in this yard, and I'm not sure if they've really survived winter. I'll give them a couple of weeks to prove themselves. If they've survived, I'll move them to the front garden. If not... well, compost time.

It looks like some of the roses in the front garden are also a bit slow or haven't made it. I'll have to give them some time to see how they do:

There's a clump of grass growing in the lavender bed that I have to get rid of, and some perennials that materialized from nowhere in the raised bed that I'm not fond of and am thinking of destroying. Going to get rid of the pots of sedum (plant the sedum in the back yard). Might ditch the two half-barrels: after 14 years, they're looking more than a little tired. The alliums should be flowering within a few weeks, by the looks of it.  What an early spring!

No comments: